“Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future”
Favourite Character: Iko, she was the cutest!
Favourite Scene: When Iko came downstaird with the lipstick on
Least Favourite Character: Pearl, she really had no purpose
Favourite Quote: “I’m sure I’ll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”
4 Reasons Why I was Excited to read Cinder
1. After recently watching and loving Once Upon a Time, I was really excited to dive back into the world of twisted fairytales.
2. It’s about robots. I’ve never really read anything about cyborgs before and after trying and enjoying books about aliens (Lux series by Jennifer Armentrout) and zombie things (Reboot by Amy Tintrera) I was excited to discover some new supernatural things.
3. I will be attending the Montgomery County Book Festival in Houston, Texas on the 16th of February and Marissa Meyer will be at panels, signing and will be the closing keynote speaker, so after having this recommended to me countless times, I had to read it!
4. I’m just in time for Cress, the third and final (I think) installment in the Lunar Chronicales. With all the hype for that going around, it was difficult to say no when I saw it on the shelf in the library.
4 Reasons Why you’ll LOVE Cinder
1. Cinder is a kick-ass female character. I LOVE it in books when our Disney expectations are broken by a female who doesn’t need saving and can hold her own against whatever she faces.
2. There’s a flirtatious prince. Okay so my previous point aside, Prince Kai has flirting skills to rival Noah Shaw (Mara Dyer Trilogy). He is witty and relentless in his pursuit of Cinder.
3. Iko is the cutest robotic sidekick ever (potentially one of the only robotic sidekicks ever). Depite being fully machine (unlike Cinder), Iko’s personality chip is loaded with endearing quirks, be it smearing lipstick onto her featureless face or always being there to comfort Cinder.
4. There is a magical race who threaten the Earth’s peace. You’ve heard of the Luxen (Jennifer L. Armentrout), the Daleks, the Souls (The Host)? Well meet the Lunars. They can manipulate your thoughts and their appearances using the natural electricity which flows through all of us. Most of the race has been brainwashed by the evil Queen Levana, nobody is immune to her powers, or so everybody thinks…
4 Actors I Pictured as 4 Characters
I always find it difficult to picture the main characters but the supporting ones, I can usually see quite clearly
1. Adri – Joanna Lumley
2.Peony – Willow Sheilds -She was just Prim to me
3.Torin – Jonathan Rhodes
4. Fateen – Dilshad Vadsaria
4 Spoilery Comments
1. Okay so I think it was fairly obvious from fairly early on that Cinder was Princess Selene. No? Just me? It wasn’t the most discreet thing was it? I wasn’t expecting the Lunar thing though, or that the Doctor would be Lunar either because how didn’t Queen Levana notice him?
2. I object to Iko being killed, no fair! I hope she finds a new body for her ASAP!
3. So the whole cyborgs are legally owned by humans is something I definitely disagree with. I mean, If they are cyborg then that means that part of them are human right? The cyborg who the doctor examined near the beginning was only about 9% machine and he doesn’t have any right does he? He is owned by another person. It’s like the whole House Elves thing i Harry Potter isn’t it? It got on my nerves throughout the book, If Cinder was once a person, then she should retain her human rights rather than being transferred into the ownership of Adri.
4. I thought that the Cliche “ooh the character dies just as the medicine touches her lips” was a bit too much, I mean either make it that she had died earlier, or the cure should work, just decide, i couldn’t stand the heartbreak of Peony dying in cinder’s arms
4 Theories for Scarlet and Cress
1. Dr Erland will betray Cinder, I can feel it! He has a knack for lying to people and I don’t think he is all he claims to be
2. Cinder is actually Queen Levana’s illegitimate daughter. This one is a bit of a stretch but it just seems like the sort of unfortunate thing which would happen
3. Cinder will lose Iko’s personality Chip and it will be heartbreaking
4. Prince Kai will be injured and need to be turned into a part Cyborg, and it will probably be Levana’s fault.