To round off my 2013 reading year, I’m completing the end of year book survey created by Jamie at the Perpetual Page Turner. This is split into 3 parts – best books, blogs and goals for 2014 so here goes!
I’m gonna try so hard to not repeat anys
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Contemporary YA – Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. Not a lover of the contemporary genre but this one was too cute to resist
Dystopian/Post-Apocalyptic – Divergent by Veronica Roth. This was a toughie but it was spectacular so, nuff said
Historical Fiction – The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Even though it was probably the only historical fiction I read this year, I don’t think it can be topped by another, it was amazing!!
Paranormal — The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead. I discovered Vampire Academy this year and it’s spin-off Bloodlines <3 Adrian!
Science Fiction — The Host by Stephanie Meyer. The movie trailer got me so excited that I had to read the book first, I’m so glad I did.
Fantasy — City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. Why Why Why? did I wait so long to read this! I am a numpty!
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I’ve gone into my reasons for disliking this book multiple times, I’m not explaining this AGAIN!
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. I wasn’t a fan of Clockwork Angel but I gave book 2 a chance and it definitely delivered.
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I wanted people to discuss the series with!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Mortal Instruments series by Cassnadra Clare. At the end of book 1 I thought it was great, then i read the other 4 and ohmigoodness this series is phenomenal
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
Cassandra Clare, I think I covered this
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. I’m not really an ailien person, before this book the only other ailien one I had read was The Host which was much earlier in the year.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout. The books in this series are so quirky and witty, I flew through this one really quickly!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. I gotta reread before the movie comes out!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
House of Hades by Rick Riordan. Look at that! It’s beautiful and it gave us confirmation tht we were getting a percabeth POV months before the book came out, settling our fangirl worries.
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Magnus Bane, he’s fucking brilliant!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. I tried so hard not to repeat! This book was written really well though.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead. The endign, i just can’t…
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan. I’m sorry! I couldn’t get a copy until then!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
“Very slowly using two fingers, Annabeth drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it as far as she could into the water.
Octavian made a squeaking sound. “What was that for? I didn’t say toss it! That could’ve been evidence. Or spoils of war!”
Annabeth tried for a dumb-blonde smile, like: Oh, silly me. Nobody who knew her would have been fooled. But Octavian seemed to buy it. He huffed in exasperation.
“You other two…” He pointed his blade a Hazel and Piper. “Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus–“
All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth’s dagger.
“You dropped this,” he said, totally poker-faced.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest– Quidditch through the Ages by J.K Rowling
Longest — Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer. Do rereads count? If not then The Host by Stephanie Meyer.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.)
CITY OF BONES SPOILERS IN 3….2….1
that moment when Valentine is all Jace, Clary….you’re brother and sister!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Romance – Percabeth (Percy and Annabeth – Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan)
Friendship – Cammie and Bex (Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter)
Familial — Stephanie Plum and Grandma Mazur (stephanie Plum Bail Bonds series by Janet Evanovich)
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore. It was so much better than the first two books which were ace anyways! I loved it so much!
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Divergent by Veronica Roth. I hadn’t heard of this series until my friend and English teacher recommended it to me!
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
YOUNG ADULT. Wasn’t it obvious? If I need to be more specific then paranormal young adult.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
The Dollhouse Asylum by Mary Gray. It was really well written and unlike anything I had read before.
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. The world building in this book was so great!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Four to Score by Janet Evanovich. All the books in this series are fun to read, they’re hilarious. I was readign this one in a reading lesson at school and the lirbrarian kept telling me that my giggling was disrupting the other students.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Cried for 90 mins straight, I don’t think I should elaborate.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
United We Spy by Ally Carter. I feel like thuis series is relatively unknown, or at least among the people who I know which is a real shame because I love it and it ended this year 🙁
Well I only started my blog this year so it’s all ver new to me
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
annareads.com I really like her perspective on a lot of young adult books!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I really enjoyed writing my Shadowhunter’s Codex review! It took forever because there was so much to say!
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
My blog hasn’t really gathered enough steam to incite a proper discussion yet but the one with the most comments is my one and only Musing Monday about changing book covers.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
The HoustonBookRave! It was so much fun!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
When I started interacting with authors, booktubers and other bloggers via twitter! FUN TIMES I HAVE FRIENDS!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My favourite Booktubers! Probably because it got retweeted by the ones I talked about
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
My videos to be honest, purely because I put so much time into editing them and then nobody really watches them.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Starting by blog was a great one, as was me finding a Half-Price Books 5 minutes away from my house! Whoop!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
YES! I aimed to read 75 books between December 25th and July 1st, which I did!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. I’ll read it, I promise!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
The Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead. After the end of the Fiery Heart I won’t be able to breathe until I know my babies are safe.
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. A new take on the Wizard Of Oz? I’m intrigued
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare. I don’t want it to be over but I need to know how it ends
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I want to read 75 books over the course of the year.